Tuesday, December 6, 2011

ME: My Marathon Life till now

                                                                                                                                                                                                                
My first ever Race Tag in my life.

How it all started? Well, it all started when my friend, Xiao Ming, instigated me to join the Sundown Marathon Singapore in December 2010. I registered on the 6 Dec 2010 and i have started running since. It was also a perfect opportunity for me to shut one of my course mate up because he was always talking about endurance sport and saying it as if he, is the greatest form of athlete because he is an endurance athlete. It cheeses me off. My pride and ego took over and i intend to show him that "if he can do it, so can i".


i prayed for 2 of my friends
I have this weird belief that my wish will come true if i were to sacrifice things that i like or when i rise up to a challenge that involves out doing myself. So hence, i started the habit of writing my wish behind my tag and it always motivate me whenever i feel that the pain is catching on with me. Basically, i strive on the pain and agony. i feed on my pain.

When i crossed the finishing line, i realised that the pain was not a threat. It is something that is true and it hurts u so much.
But probably, the pain was what drives every single endurance athlete to do it.
the mega big blister on my toe.


the toe nails that no longer exist

After my sundown marathon, i almost could not walk. I limped to the car and my then girlfriend and friends had to drive me home.
When i got back, i could not get out of the car as my feet went numb.
I continued to limp around for the next 3 days and was finally able to swim after my 4th day.
This was the pain that I have brought upon myself. along with the lost of my toe nails.

I had the support of my partner and the support of my friends. and that really made me pull through the "tough patches" in the race as well as the recovery phase which was so often than not embarrassing. Really appreciate the support that i had then.


With that first marathon, alot has changed.
I have improved. I have matured both as a person, as an athlete and as a coach.
yes. i am my own coach. I do my own testing and i plan my own training. It is not easy and at times, it is actually stressful and i get sleepless nights over the training progression.
This is something that most people will never understand. Its like having a 2 part stress. The stress of being the coach and being the athlete. 

So the time has come and its time for my second marathon, which is a prelude to my tokyo marathon 2012.
i am not showing any more of my wishes. haha


the one and only picture i had this marathon. and it sucked.

finishing is not the concern. it is how fast i do it. and i just needa be faster.

After my race, my bro came to pick me up. It really meant alot to me. To know that they are out there supporting me of my decision. It is an additional motivation to do well and to be better! Thanks!

my own ice bath

i made the ice 2 days in advance

Life has its way our twisting and turning, making every simple decision seem tough and camouflaging every tough decision as simple. It is really up to every individual to weigh the pros and cons and to make the decision themselves and to not regret it. Even if it means to have a little "time out" and to think things through.

No comments:

Post a Comment