Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Back in Rehab hospital. again.

“Our brain requires glucose function.” Pretty sure everyone came across this. I personally experienced how important glucose (sugar) is to my brain and bodily function during OT.

Every now and then, my OT would challenge me with some tasks that were a little different, a little more challenging. Most of these challenging task would result in me almost fainting or having lost (whatever’s left) my body movements. I would often turn pale, head would start to spin and I would just become sleepy. I would want to ignore everyone, I would want to stop whatever I am doing and I just wanted to sleep. Th therapist would often have to remind me to provide them with verbal feedback "Zac, speak to me. everything ok mate? speak to me". It kinda made me step out of the sleepy zone just by answering them. This is pretty dangerous for someone who is on a wheelchair and even more so, for that person to be unable to use the arms properly. I have never liked sweets or chocolates (probably due to the athlete’s diet) and surprisingly, I have been really dependent on them to get me through all these rough days and hard task. So, apparently, focusing really hard on a task requires a lot of glucose. So when I am focused, trying my absolute best to complete a task, I run low on glucose and results in giddy spells. Yes. All these occurred because I was trying to move my fingers 10 times. Valsa maneuver included. 

Thanks Phil and Grace for your wonderful sweets which got me through every single giddy spells. Thanks Zi for the top up of sweets from your secret stash.
 
Magic bouquet of energy supply! <3 nbsp="" td="">
Daily snack from the hospital. Biscuits, crackers and cheese. Emergency energy supply.


First Goal Setting
After my return from my first weekend leave, I had a meeting with the medical team. We sat down and we came up with my first goal setting. Well, I have done numerous goal setting sessions for myself as an athlete and also as a coach for my team. So this was no stranger to me. What was unique to this session, were the goals. In order to have a realistic yet challenging goal, one has to let go of all ego, pride, self-worth, self-pity, self-denial and admit to the world what an individual is incapable of doing. There was no hiding. Lucky for me, these were long thrown out of the window because I came to peace with my situation pretty quickly (although my psychologist believes it was all a façade). This goal setting session was just a written goal for everyone to know. I have been setting my own goals ever since I was admitted into Shenton Rehab and it sure felt good to be smashing them week after week but its time I get everyone to be on the same page as me.
I wrote:
  • To be able to pick up a 1/4 full cup and bring it to mouth using left hand
  • To use (L) hand when typing on computer
  • To use (L) to complete grooming task including: washing, drying and brushing hair
  • To be able to walk 200m with no hands-on assitance
  • To be able to cycle on the upright bike for 20mins on L4 resistance
sounds simple? yes.
was it easy? nope


I was determined to make it happen.
I know I can achieve them if I try hard.

Perth has taught me to: BELIEVE in MYSELF and be RESPONSIBLE.

I used to work really hard (that’s a given), but I would find excuses whenever I fall short, telling myself its not my fault, its because of weather, marathoners are bad at lactic workouts, the hills on course, my shoes, because I am not Japanese blah blah blah.. loads of BS. 
Coming to Perth, seeing how hard my team mates work, seeing how fast a 15 year old girl can run, seeing with my eyes how I would get smacked by them on a daily basis has given me the belief that if I believe, I would be as good as I wanted myself to be. I had to believe in the program my coach had provided. I had to believe that good things will happen when hardwork pays off.
I started to believe in my capabilities more and I started to improve and I was getting better till this accident happened.

NO MORE EXCUSES.
BELIEVE.
Everything is possible for he who believes.
BELIEVE.
Be focused, work my ass off and believe in myself.
I am who I am.
Be responsible for my own actions.
It starts NOW.
Nil Sine Labore


I have been kept alive on this Earth, surely, I was not meant to be just another furniture. 
I will make the most out of whatever I have left. 
Make the best of myself and believe that I can do it. 
No time to lose, let’s go! 
Screw the doctor who told me I won’t be able to run, lousy diagnosis. 
I will do my next marathon by the end of 2014. 
My determination has no equal.

The end of the week came, let’s just say it is not a fairy tale ending for my goal setting. I achieved some, I missed some. Most importantly, I achieved everything that was strength based or speed based. It is important not because I am a muscle head, but rather it meant that I did everything I could, physically, to achieve it. Neurological changes, spasm, movement of my severely impaired left side were a little out of control for me. So, it’s alright. I will try again next week. No regrets.
Just got to keep going.
The world doesnt change because I am a spinal patient. yeap. It sure doesnt change.


Visit from Joel and Stephen
Visits were exciting. They were something different which made the mundane rehabilitation life that bit more exciting even if it is just for an hour or so. One morning, when I was having my horrible breakfast, I was told that I had visitors.
Who would come so early in the morning? Hmmm..
My church mates from Singapore came! It’s so nice of them to fly in to visit me and to bring cards and gifts from the others back in Singapore =) So much love. 
It has definitely renewed my strength and reminded myself that I am not alone in this.

Well, I live to fight another day.
Money is not important when you are bed ridden.
Branded stuff aint too.
Family and friends are my new found strength through tough times.
Not forgetting, having more faith in my Lord

They sure were stoked to see me standing up for this photo. I sure am glad I was able to stand =)


My new ward mate =)

prepared and written by Zac Leow

2 comments:

  1. While you struggle to recover fully, I am very heartened by your inclination to count your blessings as you go through so much adversity. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"!!

    May this unpleasant incident teach you greater trust in the gracious provision of the Almighty God. I believe you will,

    Take care and God bless, Zixiang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jiayou zac! Continue to engage in the things you enjoy most, glad you are making progress each time. Believe in God's power and trust in Him :)

    ReplyDelete